Wednesday, November 19, 2008

(Almost) All the right moves

I've always liked Tom Daschle, and I like what I'm beginning to think is Obama's unwavering focus. I think the odds are now pretty good that Obama means business, that he's going to find a way to get things done, that he's going to do the things it will take to succeed. And as long as he gets reasonable breaks, I think he will succeed. This is the first time I've been truly impressed by Obama; until now he struck me as a charismatic, but otherwise ordinary, pol. He ran a mediocre campaign, but it was good enough to win. Having mediocre relations with a Congress like this one will not be good enough to win; as Bill Clinton discovered with the whole impeachment fiasco, it might not even be good enough to finish. Daschle, with his years of experience and contacts in the Senate, gives Obama the best imaginable shot at having good relations with Congress. It's still early, but so far it looks like Obama really gets this governing stuff, and I'd rather have someone who gets governing than someone who gets campaigning any day of the week.